Politics · Philippines Bureau
School exec says shooter's prior threats remain unverified
An Ateneo de Zamboanga University official has stated that reports of the Grade 8 student making prior threats to "shoot the school" have not yet been confirmed. The clarification was made during a Senate hearing examining the fatal school shooting incident.
LSN Philippines ·
MANILA – An administrative official from Ateneo de Zamboanga University (AdZU) said Thursday that previous reports claiming the Grade 8 student responsible for this week's shooting had threatened violence at the school remain unverified.
The statement was made during a Senate panel hearing on women and children's affairs, where the committee examined circumstances surrounding the shooting incident that occurred at the Zamboanga-based educational institution earlier this week.
The disclosure comes as investigators continue to piece together events leading up to the fatal attack. School officials have not yet confirmed whether the student made any documented threats prior to opening fire on campus.
The Senate hearing marks an ongoing effort by lawmakers to examine security protocols at educational institutions and assess whether warning signs may have been overlooked before the incident occurred.
Authorities continue their investigation into the shooting while questions remain about the student's background and potential warning indicators that may have preceded the violence.